![]() |
| The Gardener's home: Cover art for comic book. |
![]() |
| 7 panel comic of Krazy Kat & the Gardener |
Both of my assignments this week concerned a garden gnome character I created based on my 6 year old son, Simon.
He is sharp toothed, sharp witted, generally peaceful and sweet, but comes with a delightful wicked streak.
He is sharp toothed, sharp witted, generally peaceful and sweet, but comes with a delightful wicked streak.
Goal: During our first evaluation, I received feedback on a marker sketch of the "gardener"
that I should create a comic book of his adventures, and that I could do something that
would serve as a cover for that comic.
that I should create a comic book of his adventures, and that I could do something that
would serve as a cover for that comic.
Secondly, in my graphic novel course, I was assigned a 7 frame comic, incorporating one of my
characters into a George Herriman style strip. I chose his iconic strip Krazy Kat,
and incorporated the Gardener as a force manipulated by Ignatz, the mouse to attack
his androgynous enemy/lover Krazy Kat.
characters into a George Herriman style strip. I chose his iconic strip Krazy Kat,
and incorporated the Gardener as a force manipulated by Ignatz, the mouse to attack
his androgynous enemy/lover Krazy Kat.
Process: I sketched the Gardener's Home using Blick Studio HB, 3B pencils, and
painted it using Prang watercolor paints.
painted it using Prang watercolor paints.
The Krazy Kat strip is pencil, inked in with Artists Loft watercolor markers.
I worked with black and a red spot color to attain an old style comic strip look.
(Herriman had a lot of money backing his work, and usually created in 4C plates,
but occasionally worked in spot color.)
I worked with black and a red spot color to attain an old style comic strip look.
(Herriman had a lot of money backing his work, and usually created in 4C plates,
but occasionally worked in spot color.)
Story: While creating it, I told Simon a story of how the Gardener built his house,
after slaying the devious mud dragon that once ruled his swamp.
The house is created using the dragon's scales as shingles.
One shingle still has the fatal hole pierced by the Gardener's spear.
The Gardener's scythe is used for agricultural reasons and is lit by a glowing jewel.
after slaying the devious mud dragon that once ruled his swamp.
The house is created using the dragon's scales as shingles.
One shingle still has the fatal hole pierced by the Gardener's spear.
The Gardener's scythe is used for agricultural reasons and is lit by a glowing jewel.
Feedback: I was encouraged to outline the Gardener's Home with black marker to add
definition to the work, specifically the tendrils in front of the moon. People really liked
the plants in the foreground.
definition to the work, specifically the tendrils in front of the moon. People really liked
the plants in the foreground.
Krazy Kat's comic received mixed reviews, mainly positive.
Prof. Heilman felt that the red circle around the eyes distracted from what
I was trying to communicate, but liked the use of spot color.
Prof. Heilman felt that the red circle around the eyes distracted from what
I was trying to communicate, but liked the use of spot color.


No comments:
Post a Comment