Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Week Four: "Jesus was 33 when he died."

This week's assignment was to focus on the inclusion of "line" while drawing from previous feedback. In last week's assignment, I received feedback that it looked kind of like a stained glass window, and that I should try creating a music-themed painting that looked like a stained glass window. This seemed like a perfect opportunity to work with different weight lines, and different types of line, so I decided to create a "window" featuring one of my favorite subjects... records.
I began with a piece of 18x24" standard drawing paper, and drew my outlines.

Original sketch using Staedler F Pencil

Erased unneeded lines

Chose my color palette based on 1970's Boogie Nights type theme.

Used Winsor & Newton, and Prang watercolor paints

Used a large, size 8 brush for the vinyl. Tried to get a grooved look.
Filled in center dead wax and edge wax areas with smaller brush, deeper black.
Completed edge circles, then added "spider" designs, painted negative space with darker teal.

Used my Staedler compasses with pen attachment to clean edges. Watercolor marker.

And the same for internal circles.

BUT...

I brought it in for some feedback, and guess what? It fell flat.

In fact, some of the feedback I received was that it WAS "flat," "focused more on shape, not line," "very graphic design-y" "why round?" "what is this saying? And how is it conveying music?"



I didn't really have answers. I realized that I had worked on making something that would match my ideal, but I hadn't considered those things. 
They were right. It didn't say how passionate I am about music. It didn't LOOK like sound.

So I went home, brewed a pot of coffee and glared at it for awhile, and I realized that at the heart of my love for music, for audio, is the lyrics. What if I could bring the existing design to life by splashing lyrics all over it?

So I did. I drew all over the pretty, clean design I had made with marker... and it felt great!

I'm really happy with where the design is now. Is it perfect? No. 
But it definitely conveys a message that I'm happy conveying.

Have I lost my mind?


The finished piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment