Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Week 7: Lake Michigan Shoreline


This week's assignment was to create something inspired by the work of one of the artists 
featured in the Bishop Quarter Room of the Saint Xavier library. I chose Andrew Wyeth.

I've seen some of his paintings over the years, but was inspired by several of 
his stark watercolor, ink and charcoal drawings, like the ones seen here.






Taking from the stark color pallete, and the crosshatch pen lines, I decided to complete a charcoal drawing of the Lake Michigan shoreline while tent camping this last weekend.
Our first day there, we experienced 30-40 mph winds, and drawing was impossible,
but by day four, the wind had completely subsided, and I was able to set up my easel on
the dunes and complete my drawing.

My setup, using my portable easel.

The Shoreline of Covert Park, Lake Michigan, Michigan.

After finishing the drawing, I made a brush from the grass on the dune, and whipped the drawing for several minutes, creating a large crosshatch pattern in the charcoal.
"Lake Michigan Shoreline"


No comments:

Post a Comment