I was driving home from work at night on an abandoned country road the first time I heard David Bazan.
I remember pulling the car over to listen.
His music, his lyrics and his journey still captivate me.
I've taken inspiration from a senior project I saw at the senior seminar mid-term critique
where an artist created portraits of artists that inspired her.
This week, I have created a triptic of portraits of my favorite musician.
Entitled "David Bazan Triptic," I've portrayed him at age 18, 28 and 38.
In 1996, David formed the band Pedro the Lion and signed to the christian music label
Tooth & Nail records. I was a fan of T&N's catalogue and was intrigued by his raw, un-coached sound.
David had grown up in a Pentecostal church with very fundamentalist leanings.
He channeled that upbringing into his music by pushing established boundaries with his lyrics more than with his indy rock sound.
An example of that boundary-pushing is his first album, "The Whole EP" which dedicates 6 songs to a comparison of Christianity to heroin abuse.
---------
The first image of Bazan is a simple line drawing to highlight his youth, the minimalism of his lyrics,
and the simplistic nature of his early musical style.
By 28, David was still fronting Pedro the Lion, but had developed a serious alcohol
problem and while his music was still pushing bounderies, it was clear that things were falling apart. His faith seemed to be causing him more pain than comfort,
and he began openly questioning the church and right wing politics in his music.
He gained weight, grew a big beard and worked with a rotating cast of characters
that served as a band with very few exceptions.
I saw him several times during this period in his life, and he was a mess.
He forgot lyrics, drank on stage and seemed miserable...
I used graphite for my second drawing, portraying Bazan as doughy and disheveled.
After 11 years, 4 full length albums and 5 EP's, Bazan broke up the band and quit the bottle.
He worked on several small projects and in 2009 came out with his best album to date.
"Curse your branches" is a seeringly beautiful work, in which he turned his standard
storytelling style inward & described in detail
the loss of his belief in god and the path he took to that decision.
The songs detail the fallout of his choice to become agnostic,
and are essentially "directions" on how to dismantle one's faith.
Since then, he has become a dramatically happier, healthier person and is producing great music and is participating in excellent collaborations.
He has recorded albums as a lead singer or member of the Headphones, the Soft Drugs, Undertow Orchestra, Crystal Skulls, and is a current member of Overseas.
I used graphite and watercolor pencil to portray him as colorful, mature, and happy.
where an artist created portraits of artists that inspired her.
This week, I have created a triptic of portraits of my favorite musician.
Entitled "David Bazan Triptic," I've portrayed him at age 18, 28 and 38.
In 1996, David formed the band Pedro the Lion and signed to the christian music label
Tooth & Nail records. I was a fan of T&N's catalogue and was intrigued by his raw, un-coached sound.
David had grown up in a Pentecostal church with very fundamentalist leanings.
He channeled that upbringing into his music by pushing established boundaries with his lyrics more than with his indy rock sound.
An example of that boundary-pushing is his first album, "The Whole EP" which dedicates 6 songs to a comparison of Christianity to heroin abuse.
---------
The first image of Bazan is a simple line drawing to highlight his youth, the minimalism of his lyrics,
and the simplistic nature of his early musical style.
![]() |
| "It never goes to stay" - Bazan @ 18 |
By 28, David was still fronting Pedro the Lion, but had developed a serious alcohol
problem and while his music was still pushing bounderies, it was clear that things were falling apart. His faith seemed to be causing him more pain than comfort,
and he began openly questioning the church and right wing politics in his music.
He gained weight, grew a big beard and worked with a rotating cast of characters
that served as a band with very few exceptions.
I saw him several times during this period in his life, and he was a mess.
He forgot lyrics, drank on stage and seemed miserable...
I used graphite for my second drawing, portraying Bazan as doughy and disheveled.
![]() |
| "The poison" - Bazan @ 28 |
He worked on several small projects and in 2009 came out with his best album to date.
"Curse your branches" is a seeringly beautiful work, in which he turned his standard
storytelling style inward & described in detail
the loss of his belief in god and the path he took to that decision.
The songs detail the fallout of his choice to become agnostic,
and are essentially "directions" on how to dismantle one's faith.
Since then, he has become a dramatically happier, healthier person and is producing great music and is participating in excellent collaborations.
He has recorded albums as a lead singer or member of the Headphones, the Soft Drugs, Undertow Orchestra, Crystal Skulls, and is a current member of Overseas.
I used graphite and watercolor pencil to portray him as colorful, mature, and happy.
![]() |
| "Hello again, oblivion" - Bazan @ 38 |
![]() |
| "Bazan Triptic" |




No comments:
Post a Comment